Building a compelling fictional world can can be difficult but the video below is a great guide to understanding how to go about creating a fictional world of your very own.
Recap on fictional world building by Kate Messner
1. Start with a basic place and time
– Create a time-line
– What are the social and cultural rules?
– What is the historical background of this world?
2. What type of Government control is in place?
– Who has power and who doesn’t?
– Beliefs and values of society
3. Consider day-to-day life
– What is the weather like?
– Work, education, play
– Where do people live? What do they live in?
– How/when do people communicate?
– Technology, transportation
Messner explains once you figure out your fictional world, then add your characters and see what they do. Consider what conflicts may arise and how your characters will overcome them.
Do you have any fictional world building tips? We’d love to read them in the comments section below.